top of page


The 'Mission to Seafarers' works in over 200 ports in 50 countries, caring for seafarers of all ranks, nationalities and beliefs. Through our global network of chaplains, staff and volunteers we offer practical, emotional and spiritual support to seafarers through ship visits, drop-in seafarers' centres and a range of welfare and emergency support services.


The care of seafarers in Geelong began in the late 1800s as Brown Bill’s “History of Geelong” records that the first sailors’ rest was established in Corio Street east of Moorabool Street (probable near to the western entrance of Bay City Plaza).


A number of townsmen who wished to provide comfort and a welcome to sailors from other countries sponsored the movement, and for some time the Rest was a popular resort. The custom of sending “a bag of books” on board each of the outgoing ships was started in the Corio Street rooms.


On 7 February 1899, a re-established Geelong Sailor’s Rest was opened in the Liverpool, London, & Globe Insurance Co. building in Moorabool Street. Robert J. Moore and J.S Gowty were the joint secretaries.


On 3 February 1912, the foundation stone was laid for the King Edward VII Sailors’ Rest on the corner of Moorabool Street and Eastern Beach and this served as the home away from home for seafarers until 1986 when the present centre was established at 7 The Esplanade North Shore.


A major extension and refurbishment project was completed in 1996 when a new chapel, library, and additional storage facilities were built.

bottom of page